Please see attached for the full details of the problem.
1. (2 pts) The objective of statisticsis best described as:
A) To make inferences about a sample based on information we get from a population
B) To make inferences about a population based on information we get from a sample taken from the population
C) To use population mean,  as an estimate of the sample mean,
D) To make inferences about a sample with a high degree of reliability
2. (5 pts) Construct a grouped frequency distributionof the ages that 30 randomly selected smokers started smoking:
25 26 25 17 16 16 14 17 21 16
15 18 17 15 15 19 16 17 23 15
19 17 16 26 16 25 16 17 22 24
3. (2 pts) Three-fourths of the numbers in any dataset will be larger than the
A) first quartile B) third quartile C) median D) midrange E) fourth quartile
4. (2 pts) The number that appears most frequently in a data set is the
A) mean B) midrange C) median D) mode E) average
5. (2 pts) Half of the scores in any data set are below the
A) first quartile B) midrange C) third quartile D) median E) fourth quartile
6. (6 pts) Find the mean, median, and modefor the following set of data which shows the number of pages per article in a random sampleof magazine articles.
6 7 5 4 7 5 5 7
8 5 3 6 8 9 5
7. (8 pts) Construct a histogramand a frequency polygon for the following frequency distribution
Miles Number of Commuters
0 – 20 7
21 – 40 3
41 – 60 12
61 – 80 10
81 -100 4
8. (5 pts) State True or False
a) A collection of all the objects to be studied is a population.
b) A subset or part of the population is called a partial population.
c) In a frequency distribution, the class size is always 4.
d) The sum of the percents of the sectors in a pie chartshould be 100%.
e) A frequency distribution can be illustrated using a histogram.
9. (6 pts) In a study of 100 married women with children, the subjects were asked the major reason for working outside the home. The study resulted in the following data:
Reason Number of Responses
To support self/family 65
For extra money 20
For something different to do 10
Construct a pie chart for the data and analyze the results.
10. (2 pts) A county commissioner would like to find out how people in his county feel about a county lottery to support education. How might a cluster samplebe selected?
11. (4 pts) The following statisticsprovide information about the scores on a national Historyexam.
Mean 540 First Quartile 260
Median 450 Third Quartile 678
Mode 468 90th Percentile 890
a) What score did half of the test takers surpass?
b) What was the most common score?
c) What percentage of the test takers scored 678 or better?
d) If Joe had a score of 890, explain the meaning of his score.
This posting contains the solution to the given problems.