1. Classify the reaction shown below:
CH3CH2CHOHCH3 ————-> CH3CH2COCH3
d. none of the above
2. When (R)-2-butanol is treated with TsCl in pyridine, the product formed is…
a. a single enantiomer
b. a racemic mixture
c. a mixture of diastereomers
d. an achiral compound
3. Which of the following reagents can be used to convert cyclopentanol to cyclopentane?
a. 1) TsCl/pyridine 2) LiAlH4
b. 1)NaBH4 2) H3O+
c. 1)H2SO4/heat 2)H2/Pt
d. A and C
4. Which of the following alcohols will react most rapidly with the Lucas reagent (HCl, ZnCl2)?
1. This is an oxidation reaction because we’re converting an alcohol into a ketone. Notice the loss of hydrogen, a classic identification for an oxidation reaction.
2. Since the carbon-oxygen bond of the alcohol is not broken when tosyl chloride reacts with alcohols, …
The expert provides brief, clear instruction on how to complete 4 related organic chemistry problems. These problems include classifying reactions, naming product formation, reagent conversions, and rapid alcohol reactions.