Read: Klein, Naomi. On Fire: The Burning Case for a Green New Deal — read two of the following short chapters:
Or read: Pupo, N., Duffy, A., & Glenday, D. (2016). Crises in Canadian Work. Ch. 6, “Labour Markets and Work Time”
Read: Kennelly C. (October 2017). “Universal Basic Income Guarantee: The Next ‘BIG’ Thing in Canadian Social Policy”. Canadian Association of Social Workers.
1. Why has the 40-hour, five-day work week become less common amongst Canadian workers?
2. Why are some workers plagued by “too much work” while others are stuck in involuntary unemployment?
3. What will the average working day look like in 30 years, and why?
4. How might a Basic Income benefit or give more power to workers?
5. It’s been said that climate change changes everything. What changes are required for us to survive? To what extent are they personal or political?